Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Options

I'm at work, hating it, staring at another website devoted to duvet covers, knowing that even if I do my very best work optimizing, the likelihood of this customer making any money from their website is slim to none, contrary to what they were promised when they spend upwards of $6000-$15000 on internet marketing packages.  It's the middle of finals, I am stressed, I should be getting done a thousand other things done with school and future plans, and this is the last thing I need, to be sitting in a cold office, in a gray/brown cubicle, feeling like I'm contributing to something dishonest, feeling hostile and scolded, and getting frustrated that the thing I was hoping would cheer me up,The Black Keys website where I am trying to listen to the new album, is so glitchy....... *end rant*
Sometimes there comes a very tangible breaking point with a job, and I feel I've reached mine. Since I have not been able to find something I really want to to after graduation and after I get back from Mexico, I told my boss that I would like to go back to full time after the holidays, my heart sank that day, I felt so defeated. This was a great job while in school, flexible and paying well enough to keep me comfortable, but I never intended to keep working here after I graduated.

I find I am faced with TOO MANY options (what a thing to complain about, huh?), and what I really want to do is flit off to Europe or South America for a while and really explore another place, learn to navigate an undetermined path, and enjoy not having work or school or those responsibilities (Come on Cali!!), and get in touch with myself in a place completely unfamiliar.

Another thing that has been appealing to me for about 5 months has been going to Washington D.C. I feel like it has really been calling me, popping up in strange places in my life and presenting me with all sorts of possibilities.  Since I am interesting in law and non-profit type work, I feel like it would be a great place to get some experience. I have been looking into plane ticket prices and they are reasonable, even bordering on cheap, so if I can't find a way to relocate there, I'll at least find a way to get out and visit in the coming months.
 
I just don't feel like getting away for a short trip is going to fulfill this need I have, but sadly I don't know how to go about a long endeavor alone, and relocating across the country feels just as impossible.

I want to see this-

Instead I see this-

1 comment:

Cali said...

Oh, I Soooooo know what you're going through and it hurts!! Srsly if you wanted to come out this way, I'll do everything I can to help you! I had enough money to last me a few months and a friend to lean on (geoff). Maybe save up and make the move and I'll be your friend! You could stay here in between job interviews even, it's a short bus ride from here to DC.

In the next six months or so I should know what the path holds in store! I hope it's us going to Europe!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...