Friday, December 17, 2010

Language Can Incriminate You


Ok- this is my very first rant about veganism. NONE of you have to read it, but I have given fair warning.

I was not vegetarian very long before I went vegan, maybe 2 full years or 2 1/2 (I'm not one for counting). I dabbled with vegetarianism in high school at various times but it never really stuck. My sister even dated some pretty radical vegans and I didn't share their beliefs but I was always inquisitive and respectful. If they brought up a good point, I acknowledged it-adversely if they were spouting faux facts and half truth I also called them on it. I personally pride myself on being broad minded. I know who I am, what I stand for and allow others the same courtesy. I don't consider myself one of those 'preachy' vegans. You may know they type- who feel everyone in the entire world should be vegan and they let all the meat eaters know. Who constantly blast others about what they are eating or how meat or other points of interest for these self appointed saviors effect the world, animals, or the body. While I do believe in education and spreading social awareness, I DO NOT believe that beating people over the head with something is the best way to do this.

That being said, I'm sick and tired of the ignorance of a large majority of people. Today at work on the other side of my cubicle some people were talking about vegetarian and veganism. They were commenting on how they though they could easily be vegetarian but could never be vegan.
(This is were I get a little ranty-) It's not a matter of ability- its a matter of choice. Veganism is a lifestyle choice that many are UNWILLING but not UNABLE to make. Which is fine, I understand fully that it is a big commitment that not everyone is willing to make, but what gets me is when people talk about it as though it were as impossible as sprouting wings and flying to the moon. Saying "I could never be vegan" sounds so ignorant to me, as you chow down on your slice of turkey and creamy mashed potatoes (me being a little judgmental now). It would be the equivalent of me, as a vegan, saying, "I could never eat meat again"- a statement which ignores the fact that I am completely capable of eating meat again, however, I am choosing not to. A more accurate statement, and one that would indicate an aknowledgement of responsibility on the part of the stator would be "I don't think I would ever be vegan/ eat meat" or more blatantly "I would never be a vegan/eat meat". I know language is tricky, but people (myself included)should pay attention to how they use it.

I am in no way trying to say that a person who doesn't feel they would ever adopt a vegan lifestyle is wrong. Or that one who does is right. I'm not about that. I say if you want to eat meat, do so, if you want to go to church, good for you, if you want to do a multitude of things that I may or may not agree with- more power to you and I hope whatever it is you choose makes you happy. I'm simply saying, be aware of yourself, how you sound, and what your statements mean.

The point is, it is possible to coexist peacefully, to be respectful of each others opinions lifestyles and values even if you don't agree. We are in dire need of a little more sensitivity on all ends of the spectrum, and a little more awareness of our speech and surroundings.

*UPDATE*- Yesterday, one of the above accused came up to me and said he was sorry if what he said had offended me and offered to give me a recipe for a sweet potato soup he had tried that was vegan and delicious. This just goes to chow that language use really can and does speak volumes about those who use it- in positive an negative ways. Though I was not necessarily offended by the conversation he was having, I was impressed that he cared enough to apologize and try to make amends to a person whom he rarely interacts with and does not know much about. Not many would care, so this speaks a lot about this person. I appreciated the sentiment a great deal.

4 comments:

Susannah Woodbury said...

Good for you, Rikki! That's my girl! Woot woot! Take that you meat eating barbarians!

Whoops, was that Susannah being Judgmental? ;)

Anonymous said...

Hi Rikki, I just found your blog (from Cali's). Love it! Anyhoo.... I admire you and your commitment to veganism. I actually tried it for a couple weeks and it really wasn't that hard for me and I didn't really miss anything I was cutting out. That said, it's hard to eat one way and feed your family another way, so I gave up. And I know my fam wouldn't change their carnivore habits just for me. But someday... I just might get back into it. It's a really healthy way to live and I actually have a Vegan cookbook. Keep it up!

Rikki C. said...

Hi Barb! Thanks for reading. I'm impressed that you tried the vegan lifestyle and sympathize with how difficult it would be to prepare meals for a family of meat eaters when you are doing the vegan thing. Everyone has to do what works for them, that is for sure! Maybe you can incorporate few vegan meals or desserts occasionally and make use of that cookbook! :)

Lorraine said...

Well said Rikki, Well said

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...