Monday, December 20, 2010

Namaste to All Readers


Over the weekend, as I sat bored with no school work to speak of, I made a necklace with some charms I picked up from the craft store trip with my mom. One charm is the Om (or Aum- learn about its meaning here) symbol, of whose meaning I have been familiar with, and the other is a lower case print of the word 'namaste' which I have heard many times but have never known the actually meaning. So I looked it up today, and was boggled at how one word can have such layered meaning and be such a beautiful and peaceful sentiment! This is what I found on wikipedia-

Namaste is one of a small list of Sanskrit words commonly recognized by Non-Hindi speakers.

Namaskār (Devnagari/Hindi: नमस्कार) literally means "I bow to [your] form".

  • "I honor the Spirit in you which is also in me." -- attributed to but not claimed by author Deepak Chopra
  • "I honor the place in you in which the entire Universe dwells, I honor the place in you which is of Love, of Integrity, of Wisdom and of Peace. When you are in that place in you, and I am in that place in me, we are One."
  • "That which is of God in me greets that which is of God in you."
  • "The Divinity within me perceives and adores the Divinity within you."
And here this statement- "The gesture Namaste represents the belief that there is a Divine spark within each of us that is located in the heart chakra. The gesture is an acknowledgment of the soul in one by the soul in another."

I love words.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...