Monday, January 24, 2011

Reaffirmation

While I sit waiting for my car to undergo some maintenance, I take advantage of the wifi connection and jot a quick post about the first batch of documentaries screened. (see post of films screened here)

Something was so reaffirmed in me after seeing these films,all concerning activism in some regard, a feeling that I need to get out there and be a part of the movement and motion that is going on in the world today. Especially after the very impactful film, Sing your Song, depicting all of the activism that singer Harry Belafonte did, and is doing in so many areas  (world hunger, peace, race, gang violence, prison and youth outreach...) it is still so apparent to me that there are things that need to be done in the world, that people can and are making differences and steps to create a different world and I just want to be a part of the change that needs to happen.Not simply that I want to be in an "it would be nice" idealist sense of speaking, but that it is where I belong, what I need to be doing with my life and time. Never has this notion been so clear in my mind.

It's more than being the change that I wish to see in the world, which is a nice start but is not enough, it's about bringing it forth in very real ways. I have been given some of the tools in which to make this happen through my life and especially education, it is just a matter of putting these tools to good use and honing in on the issues I wish to work with. I am capable and will aim my ambition toward these goals within the near future, gaining more experience and broadening my understanding of the knowledge and skills I will need to gain in order to contribute and apply myself in positive ways. As usual, my scope of interest is so broad, and narrowing it will prove to be a challenging step, but this is a journey I an anxious to embark on, not one of dread as it has been in choosing a college major. This is life, it's my life, and I'm finally nearing a place that I can begin putting my full energy and attention into these goals. So far I have greatly compartmentalized my involvement and attention, focusing largely on completing my degree, but with its culmination looming in the near future, I enter an exciting new realm of freedom and I feel a strong social responsibility to devote time and attention to causes greater than myself.

As always, any help, direction, tips, contacts, or encouragement is greatly appreciated, I am so looking forward to the future unfolding in whatever way it will.

1 comment:

Lorraine said...

Hi there-- You are definitely the one to make a change in the world. LIttle changes in us make big changes in the world. I remember telling one of my classes just think if everyone made one thing better in their life or the lives of their family. It is the little things. The things that go unnoticed. You do lots of those. I appreciate you so much and your desire to make life and the world better, even if it is only for me ! LUB ya

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...