As the world spins madly on, I have no way of knowing what will or will not actually happen, and so many things are far outside my control. It really helps me to have something to look forward to, so I have created a list of tentative events that I would like to unfold for myself.
This is not a new years resolution post, I make 'resolutions' all year long as I see fit, but at the dawning of a new semester, I usually have a post about what the coming months will entail. In keeping with my intention to stay positive, finding something good in most every situation, I bring you the things I am looking forward to this year. (apart of course from good friends, good conversation, family time and film)Finishing my Senior Thesis-
Graduation-
Many, MANY have inquired as to what I want to do with a degree in Cinema Studies and English. The answer, plain and simple is, I don't know. Unlike a trade, when I graduate I will be thrown into the working world with countless pages written, endless theory research, and various novels and films closely read and really no life experience to show for it. I think many a student leaves a university feeling lost, I don't pretend to be alone in this. We've checked the box marked 'student' for so many years that we don't really know how to do anything else. Maybe that is why many choose to continue in academic pursuits, and some permanently securing positions in a university setting. I'm not sure what road to take when I graduate, I'm just enjoying the ride while it lasts and trying my hand at a variety of options this semester including teaching and reviewing.
Yoga & Holistic Living-
I have been doing a lot of research and practicing various holistic living techniques, and while I understand that these would not suit every person's lifestyle, they seems to agree with mine, and my body, well. I have plans to do regular yoga (as opposed to the very intermittent quantity I have been doing), both alone and with friends and attending more educational gatherings to broaden my understanding and application of these concepts. I plan to continue and advance with my practices of buying local and organic products and supporting local businesses and reducing my negative effects on the environment by driving less and reusing and making my own products.
Travel-
Self explanatory really, I just wanna get out and soak up what the world has to offer, and try to give something back in return. I want to budget my money better in order to make more of this happen.
Great Red Rocks Adventure-
Living in such close proximity to such diverse beauty, I want to take advantage of it more often and more thoroughly. I'm planning to take a few trips down south and take in all the beauty the red rocks hold.
Great Northwest Adventure-
For lack of a better name currently, another adventure. A trip is in the works to head up to the lush northwest of our nation and visit a few possible grad schools and hike in a different range of nature.
Spanish Literacy-
I have been taking, and will continue to take, Spanish classes. Learning a language has proven to be one of the most challenging things I have done in my academic career. I am looking forward to having a greater literacy in this language and continuing to educate myself and use the skills I acquire. Not to mention understanding some Spanish in film and reading Lorca poetry in the original language.
Mexico 2011-
My family usually goes to Mexico with my extended family during December. We decided to stay home this year and a couple weeks on the beach after graduation this year will be a welcome retreat.
Netflix-
I have not allowed myself to get Netflix until after I graduate because I fear I would not get anything done for school, but when school is out, all bet are off and I will begin the joy that is streaming films. The Orem Library will surely be sad to no longer see my dollars, I may have nearly funded a new wing for them over the years. :)
An Animal Companion-
I have been longing for an animal companion for many years, maybe I can make this happen this year as well, or at least make steps in security to make this a closer possibility. This seems a bit farther off writing this now, but I'll keep it here as a reminder.
This is a great and looming task, casting a shadow over many thoughts and plans at this time. I am actually looking forward to diving into the research and becoming very familiarly acquainted with my chosen topic of film realism and documentary. It will feel great to get this daunting task out and completed this semester and have a smooth sailing experience in the fall for my final semester.
Graduation-
Many, MANY have inquired as to what I want to do with a degree in Cinema Studies and English. The answer, plain and simple is, I don't know. Unlike a trade, when I graduate I will be thrown into the working world with countless pages written, endless theory research, and various novels and films closely read and really no life experience to show for it. I think many a student leaves a university feeling lost, I don't pretend to be alone in this. We've checked the box marked 'student' for so many years that we don't really know how to do anything else. Maybe that is why many choose to continue in academic pursuits, and some permanently securing positions in a university setting. I'm not sure what road to take when I graduate, I'm just enjoying the ride while it lasts and trying my hand at a variety of options this semester including teaching and reviewing.
Yoga & Holistic Living-
I have been doing a lot of research and practicing various holistic living techniques, and while I understand that these would not suit every person's lifestyle, they seems to agree with mine, and my body, well. I have plans to do regular yoga (as opposed to the very intermittent quantity I have been doing), both alone and with friends and attending more educational gatherings to broaden my understanding and application of these concepts. I plan to continue and advance with my practices of buying local and organic products and supporting local businesses and reducing my negative effects on the environment by driving less and reusing and making my own products.
Travel-
Self explanatory really, I just wanna get out and soak up what the world has to offer, and try to give something back in return. I want to budget my money better in order to make more of this happen.
Great Red Rocks Adventure-
Living in such close proximity to such diverse beauty, I want to take advantage of it more often and more thoroughly. I'm planning to take a few trips down south and take in all the beauty the red rocks hold.
Great Northwest Adventure-
For lack of a better name currently, another adventure. A trip is in the works to head up to the lush northwest of our nation and visit a few possible grad schools and hike in a different range of nature.
Spanish Literacy-
I have been taking, and will continue to take, Spanish classes. Learning a language has proven to be one of the most challenging things I have done in my academic career. I am looking forward to having a greater literacy in this language and continuing to educate myself and use the skills I acquire. Not to mention understanding some Spanish in film and reading Lorca poetry in the original language.
Mexico 2011-
My family usually goes to Mexico with my extended family during December. We decided to stay home this year and a couple weeks on the beach after graduation this year will be a welcome retreat.
Netflix-
I have not allowed myself to get Netflix until after I graduate because I fear I would not get anything done for school, but when school is out, all bet are off and I will begin the joy that is streaming films. The Orem Library will surely be sad to no longer see my dollars, I may have nearly funded a new wing for them over the years. :)
An Animal Companion-
I have been longing for an animal companion for many years, maybe I can make this happen this year as well, or at least make steps in security to make this a closer possibility. This seems a bit farther off writing this now, but I'll keep it here as a reminder.
Aging Gracefully-
Last year, when I turned 25, I dreaded the thought and really agonized over it for months. It was completely pointless to have done so and I actually ended up having a really nice birthday, and surrounding days, thanks to some great friends and family. I realized that I have a lot to look forward to and accomplish and that getting older does not really have to be so dreaded. When I see people who are younger than I am, in high school or just entering college, I would not wish to trade places with them, and I realize that I am enjoying being the age that I am, and will enjoy the ages to follow if I take advantage of life opportunities and keep myself healthy and active.
Though some days I have my doubts, I do have a lot to offer and experience.
Last year, when I turned 25, I dreaded the thought and really agonized over it for months. It was completely pointless to have done so and I actually ended up having a really nice birthday, and surrounding days, thanks to some great friends and family. I realized that I have a lot to look forward to and accomplish and that getting older does not really have to be so dreaded. When I see people who are younger than I am, in high school or just entering college, I would not wish to trade places with them, and I realize that I am enjoying being the age that I am, and will enjoy the ages to follow if I take advantage of life opportunities and keep myself healthy and active.
Though some days I have my doubts, I do have a lot to offer and experience.
3 comments:
Love your post Rikki! But what's with the 3 day shower hiatus? Take a hot shower, you'll feel so much better! :)
I haven't posted any 'resolutions' yet myself this year, but I thought I identified with you on some of yours. Especially the last one. Thanks for your thoughts!
I wish you well in all your endeavors! Keep up the great work.
Favorite Uncle
I love how positive you are in your posts. That is something I am going to work on this year! Great "Resolutions" They are definitely in your grasp. What an accomplishment to be done with school and learn a new language!! I am so proud of you!
Post a Comment