Friday, January 21, 2011

Sundance Film Festival Heaven


This semester, I was fortunate enough to be enrolled in a Sundance Film Festival class studying documentary specifically. This class is perfect for me, especially now as I write my senior thesis which deals explicitly with Documentary film and its revolutionary potential through realism. Blah Blah, I know- ANYWAY.... For this class we get are attending 10, yes 10, documentary films, and I COULD NOT BE MORE EXCITED!!! All of the films we are seeing are in Salt Lake, which is so nice. If you have ever attended the festival in Park City, or attempted to go anywhere near the place while it is happening, you know that it is an absolute mad house. Mostly full of hawk eyed celeb watchers hoping to spot their favorite stars and get into bars and after parties, not even interested in the films themselves. People who specifically want to watch the films tend to avoid Park City if possible, although that is a broad generalization on my part, I know some like the energy that envelopes Park City during this time.

The class is seeing 3 films tomorrow, half the group (myself included) is seeing one Monday night, another 3 on Wednesday and the last 3 next Saturday. My professor (who I absolutely love, she is amazing) is also trying to get us all tickets to the best of show documentary on the last Sunday of the fest as well. I am looking forward to seeing what is happening in current documentary on the festival circuit. More importantly perhaps, I am looking forward to discussing these films with other cinema students and getting some conversation and ideas circulating! Below is a list of what I am seeing-


Saturday 1.22.11
If a Tree Falls: A Story of the Earth Liberation Front- "concern[ed] about ecological imbalance and capitalism run amok, ELF members and sleeper cells employed economic sabotage by destroying facilities involved in deforestation (especially excited for this, I am presenting and writing on it)
Sing Your Song- surveys the life and times of singer/actor/activist Harry Belafonte
Black Power Mix Tape 1967–1975-Swedish journalists traversed the Atlantic Ocean to film the black power movement in America

Monday 1.24.11
The Redemption of General Butt Naked- Story of a Liberian General who murder thousands, turned evangelist

Wednesday 1.26.11
Miss Representation- discusses the objectification of women in the media (I know I know, don't get me stared! Fuel for the fire!)
Crime After Crime- A look at the justice system through the case of one case who beat her boyfriend and the attorneys who attempt to get her acquitted
Rebirth- chronicles the lives of five people profoundly affected by the 9/11 attacks through ten years after the attacks

Saturday 1.29.11
The Flaw- an in depth look at the the U.S. financial collapse of 2007
Connected: An Autoblogography about Love, Death and Technology- "explores the visible and invisible connections linking major issues of our time—the environment, consumption, population growth, technology, human rights, the global economy"
The Interrupters- Story of former gang members who disrupt violence in their neighborhoods as it happens

As you can see, there is quiet a variety of topics to be discussed. Though I do wish I were seeing some non-documentary films, I am in no way settling with what I have been given! Maybe I will post about some of the most impactful films if I get time between the madness that will be next week. (I'm also teaching a film class for the first time on Monday- EEEEKKK!) So much to do, so much fun to be had! I am looking forward to spending all this time in Salt Lake as well. I have not been up much since my lovely London friend, kindred spirit, and partner in consciousness crime Susannah left for Turkey. I will reunite with the city, enjoys much coffee and conversation and see if my film threshold can be met!

Cheers!





 

2 comments:

Susannah Woodbury said...

I am screaming into my pillow! Those films sound AMAZING. I am greeeeeen with envy! i can't believe I'm missing Sundance by mere DAYS. Ah! Oh to be in London at the BFI again! All too soon we will be drinking tea in my new flat in the Avenues together!!!!

Rikki C. said...

It has seriously been incredible so far! We will chat, drink tea, reminisce and renew vows of friendship soon! I CAN'T WAIT!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...