Friday, February 24, 2012

Nesting, no I'm not!

I've been in such a strange nesting type mood lately. I find myself with a ridiculously strong desire to fill my house with great stuff. I'm not usually a "stuff" kinda gal, I try not to have excess of things I don't really need (yes I need all the shoes and clothes in my closet, why do you ask?), but lately I see these great pieces I just HAVE to have or do something with. I see a lot of DIY bloggers and projects and just feel like doing something active and creative for my own home.

I have a handful of projects up and coming along including:

  • a shelf I am painting dark mustard yellow and putting new knobs on- similar to this, but a big shelf, not just a hook rack
  • I finally bought a succulent for a tan/turquoise/brown ceramic bowl I got at savers
  • framed my vintage astronomy map in a shadow box (yet to be hung) 
  • need to get some postcards or photos for this really cool hanging rack my sister got me for Christmas, I'm thinking of using the photos taken by my brother from a calendar he made for me
  • keeping my eyes open for a new side table, desk, and bookcase- either something mid-century or something I can refinish myself
  • have commissioned an embroidered project I am really excited about
  • working on organizing with real live boxes and labels
  • I've been collecting wine corks for about a year now and finally think I have enough to do something with, a cork board, trivet, coasters, something. (If anyone has any more they want to give me, save 'em up! I am a willing recipient)
I try to tell myself not to make any big purchases or commitments or buy anything I don't need (like the mid-century "bar ware" amber drinking glasses I have my eye on) because I don't know where I am going to be living in a couple months and whether or not these things will be going in to storage or if by some miracle I will find an ideal place to live where I have access to a kitchen and can use all my lovely kitchen ware and other home accents and necessities. I just want to splurge on new bedding, sheets, pillow cases, and a duvet to find a great cover for, get a retro kitchen table and chairs, and some sweet lamps for my front room.

*sigh*

Plus, I should really save this money I would be spending for my Amazing NYC/D.C. Trip coming up! There will surely be amazing things I will want to purchase there.

I wonder if men ever experience this type of "nesting" bug, and whether this is some ingrained (societal or natural?) desire that women have, to make a house home-y. A friend and I even joked about buying a house just to have a place of our own to decorate.

2 comments:

Susannah Woodbury said...

The house 'twas no joke!

Cali said...

That's weird, it's like you and I have completely traded places in that regard. Wish I could see your cute place!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...