Wednesday, February 29, 2012

HOLY HOLY HOLY

Vent/Rant coming up. Don't read on if you hate white girl problems.

Today sucks and it is not even noon. I think my bad mood actually started last night after I was "shushed" by someone when I said Hercules is a Greek Myth (which it is originally, as Heracles) as they tried to defend why they thought it is a Roman myth (which it also is, but later, as Hercules). Not one to engage generally when it is clear this will not be a nice discussion but more of a "who is right" (me) type of match, I quietly let my frustration stew and tried to enjoy the rest of my evening. He didn't mean anything by it, I am just sensitive when I feel like my intelligence or knowledge is being called in to question. Enough about that though, still a little sore.

I got an email from my new boss who is out of the country, has been the entire time I have worked for him (outside of the week I met him), saying that the lease on the office he rents has been purchased and we will have to find another way to conduct business. He asked if I could work from home, which I replied that I could, but upon further thought, I am realizing how very inconvenient that will potentially be. Here's why-
  • I don't have internet at my place, so I will have to take my computer somewhere that has internet, like a cafe or the library, or my parent's house. 
  • I don't have the programs needed on my personal computer, and I don't know how to get them on there from the office computer. 
  • I don't have room at my place for all of the office info, supplies, files, etc. that I use on a regular basis. So I can either try to cram them all in or have to dig them out of whatever place he decides they should be stored when I need them.
  • I'll still have to go somewhere to collect all his mail (personal and business) but maybe I can get him a PO box near my house.....
  • I am dreading the possibility that I will have to move all the office equipment. 3 desks, 7 monitors, 5 computers, chairs, files, books, decor, etc. We still have a month but I hope (and will suggest) he hires a company to move the items, I'm not really equipped for that. 
Next incident of the day, furthering my grumpy mood, I had to go to the post office to send a package for work. I've had nothing but problems with the Lehi Post office and today solidifies my never going there again if I can possibly avoid it. The employees are rude, condescending, inattentive, and generally unpleasant to interact with. I have had different employees help me each time I have been there for this job and each experience is as dreadful as the next. 

I ordered a smartphone because this new job requires that I am available at any time. After fighting with Verizon, looking in to other options, and quarreling internally about it, I finally made a decision and received the new phone yesterday, which did not come with everything promised and the company is now having to ship the card needed to activate the phone to me this week. I don't even want a smartphone, I have gotten along without it this long, I don't even have internet at my apartment, why do I need to carry it around in my pocket? The phone was expensive, the monthly data plan is expensive, and frankly I feel it is unnecessary. I'm grumpy about having to spend money on an item I don't really want or need. I might rethink my choice, try to sell the phone and get a cheap service provider or something. I'm trying not to make any choices in the huff that I feel I am in.

I don't want to eat what I brought for lunch
My water bottle tastes funny today
I have a stupid annoying cough
I chose the wrong coat for such a cold day
I still work at this crummy job I've had for years and no one else will hire me

I'm in a "this is not what I want my life to look like" type of funk right now and I don't know what to do about it outside of what I am doing, i.e. trying to plan things for a future closer to my ideal, and refocus to enjoy things as they are right now. This is easier said than done of course when I get feeling hopeless. I think that is what the "nesting" thing is a reflection of, trying to better what I have now. To quote a ridiculous Disney movie-
"I want much more than this provincial life
                I want adventure in the great wide somewhere
                I want it more than I can tell
                And for once it might be grand
                To have someone understand
                I want so much more than they've got planned"
Ok, let's look at the positive now, for my sanity. I've got some things coming up to look forward to:
  • Still planning and SO EXCITED for my trip to NYC/DC with 2 of my favorite people!
  • Pedicure tonight with my sister, mom, and grandma before the latter two jet off for Hawaii
  • Hopefully seeing "The Artist" this weekend, FINALLY!
  • Get to hang out with my cute nephew tomorrow and some much needed time at my own house, baking banana bread, catching up on my writing, and of course 30 Rock
Not all is lost, and it is definitely not as bad as today feel thus far. The nice thinga about bad days is they are only one day, and they end. At least I can try to find a little humor in the mean time though.

3 comments:

Cali said...

OMG I'm stealing that picture. Hope you don't mind.

I'm sorry you're having a bad time of it. :( That's really crazy that your boss just up and dumped that on you - definitely get a moving company, and let him know you might not (or don't have) room for everything in your apartment - see what he comes up with.

Your upcoming weekend sounds sooo niiiice.

Anonymous said...

Got to your blog from someone else's blogs and just had a few comments if you don't mind.
First, why are you paying for a smartphone you have to have for work? I don't think your boss can legally or ethically require you to use something for work and oh yeah, pay for it out of pocket.

I have been working from home for five years and I'm telling you it could be a lot worse. You could be totally independent like I am. Think if all those expenses, office supplies, files, etc. were your responsibility.

The good news is you can deduct the crap out of it. You can deduct square footage for the space you use for your home office, as well as office supplies, a percentage of the utilities/gas/power for your house, and you can get internet and deduct 100% of that too.

I also give away the old laptop and buy a new one every year and deduct the value of the old one and what I paid for the new one.

Working from home isn't all bad, but working from home while being a regular employee (rather than an independent contractor like me!) would be the LIFE! Deductions plus a W-2?! Sign me up!

It's all in how you look at it I guess because your life sounds pretty sweet to me.

Rikki C. said...

MostlyProbably,

Welcome, always nice to hear from a new blog friend.

You are right, it is all in how I look at it. I am lucky to have 2 jobs, even though it can have its ups and downs.

The thing is, all those files etc ARE my responsibility while my boss is away. Since I am a simple fresh outta college gal, I don't really have the resources/space to have a home office. There is a lot more to it, like the fact that I'm not going to be living at my apartment in the next few months so I don't want to sign an internet contract that I wont be using soon. I like my job, I'm not trying to sound ungrateful, just s little stressed at the moment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...