
Yesterday was Mark's birthday and since he is crazy and does not like cake, I made him a birthday pie. He had mentioned liking fruit pies so I made a mental note and put the creation together. I even purchased local peaches! It would have been even better were I able to snag some from my grandmas fruit trees, but they were not quiet ripe. I have never made any sort of pie before and I was nervous that it would be awful but it actually turned out pretty well! Mark said he liked it, so I deem this a success.
I am getting the hang of this cooking thing! The girl who used to burn rice can now make anything, I am confident. I keep telling people I am like Betty Crocker now. Although, I felt a little hypocritical for baking a pie while grooving to Ani Difranco. haha
I did a few minor things a little differently than the recipe. I mixed my crust dough by hand (because I have no food processor) the night before and froze it. Note to give plenty of time for it to unthaw before attempting to use it. It was served warm with soy whip cream, yum!
Here is the recipe- (found on dairyfreecooking.about.com)
Pie Crust-
Makes enough 1 double-crust 9" pie or 2 single-crust 9" pie crusts
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
Ingredients:
* 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
* ¾ t. salt
* 2 t. sugar
* ½ cup (1 stick) cold soy margarine
* 8 oz. (1 tub) cold dairy-free cream cheese, such as tofutti
* about 1/3 cup ice cold water, more if needed
Preparation:
1. In a food processor, combine the flour, salt and sugar. Add the soy margarine and dairy-free cream cheese and pulse until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. While the machine is still running, gradually add the water until the dough just holds together and pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
2. Divide dough in half, wrap each half in plastic and refrigerate for at least 45 minutes before using, or up to overnight.
Peach Pie-
(inside of pie before covering)
Makes one 9" pie
Ingredients:
* 1 Recipe Dairy-Free Pie Dough
* 5 1/2 cups fresh peeled peach slices
* 1 t. lemon juice
* 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
* 3/4 cup unrefined cane sugar or white granulated sugar, plus more for sprinkling
* 1/2 t. cinnamon
* 1/4 t. salt
* Plain dairy-free soy milk, for brushing
Preparation:
1.Lightly grease a 9" pie plate with dairy-free soy margarine. Roll out half of the dairy-free pie dough, and fit into the pie plate. Using your fingers, create a crust around the edge. Place the pie plate, uncovered, in the freezer for 15 minutes.
2. Preheat the oven to 400 F.
3. Place the peaches in a large mixing bowl, and toss with the lemon juice. In another small bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, cinnamon and salt. Toss over the peaches and mix gently until evenly incorporated. Pour the mixture into the prepared pie crust. Roll out the remaining dairy-free pie dough and fit over the top of the pie, folding the edges under. Using your fingers or a fork, flute the edges to seal. Lightly brush the top crust with dairy-free soy milk and sprinkle with sugar.
3.Bake for 10 minutes, then turn down the heat to 350 F and bake for 30-35 minutes more. Allow the pie to cool on a wire cooling rack. Serve warm or cold.

Apologies once again for the poor quality camera phone pictures, one day I will use my actual camera and have a decent photo. Maybe :)
No comments:
Post a Comment