Thursday, April 21, 2011

Fajita Potato Bowl

It is finals. I get pretty stressed around this time of semester and tend to eat really poorly.  (Ask me how many cookies I have had/made in the last 2 weeks!) I also have little time to devote to cooking as I should be studying or writing, so when I do cook, it has to be fast and easy (like cookies). I usually just throw whatever I have on hand in a pan and eat. I go for substance, not necessarily taste or health.

Last night, in keeping with my make shift meal making trend, I tossed a couple things I had lying around on the stove and it actually turned out surprisingly well, so I thought I would share. One problem I encountered is that I rarely measure ingredients when I whip up something like this, so what you get is an approximation. Keep in mind also that I was cooking for one, so you will have to make alterations to feed more than one hungry college student or single feminista (or whoever it is you cook for). 

 Fajita Potato Bowl

Ingredients: (keep in mind these are approximate)
1 med potato of your liking- chopped
1/4 c chopped onion
1/4 c chopped green pepper
1/2 cup cooked black beans
1/4- 1/2 c salsa
garlic
oil
Season All

Saute garlic in oil. Add onion and green pepper and saute slightly. Add potato and mix well to coat with remaining oil. Cover, stir occasionally to prevent burning. When potatoes are almost completely cooked, sprinkle with season all and stir in black beans and salsa (add enough salsa to cover all veggies). Cover again until potatoes are cooked thoroughly, check and stir regularly to prevent burning. Enjoy!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For more quick and simple vegan cooking ideas, check out one of my go to sites The Vegan Stoner. They have quick and tasty ideas that can be made with staple foods many people have on hand regularly. Even if you don't participate in vegan cooking, you can enjoy the adorable drawings they place next to each post. :)


P.S. This was my dessert- vanilla soy milk and delicious whole wheat chocolate chip cookies from my cookie bible: "Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar"- a must have cook book for ALL cookie connoisseurs- not only the vegan variety.

3 comments:

Cali said...

Wow. I wish I was as good at "whipping up" stuff as you are! :) Looks yummy!

Cassie said...

I am the same way around finals time. The really bad thing about that, though, is that you definitely need the good food and not the sugar when you're studying! I like this fajita bowl. My husband loves anything with black beans and salsa too!

Unknown said...

Sorry, That doesn't even look good! But I have to say you are great at "Whipping something up"

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...