Thursday, April 7, 2011

Shuffled

It is a shuffle sort of music day. The kind where you don't really know what you want to listen to, nothing and everything seem appealing... and so we shuffle. Isn't technology wonderful?
My zune has a special way of knowing exactly what type of music I am in the mood for, she just get me. :) I thought I would share a few particular one liners or lyric stanzas that are communicating things to me today (italics added for emphasis). I am constantly amazed at how the poetry of lyrics can be so intricate, abstract, and personal all at the same time.

Enjoy!

Neutral Milk Hotel- 2 Headed boy pt 2 (I have a live version of this that is AMAZING, but could not find an accompanying video to reflect what I actually hear)



In my dreams you're alive and you're crying
As your mouth moves in mine, soft and sweet
Rings of flowers around your eyes and I'll love you
For the rest of your life

Brother, see, we are one and the same
And you left with your head filled with flames
And you watched as your brains
Fell out through your teeth, push the pieces in place
Make your smile sweet to see, don't you take this away
I'm still wanting my face on your cheek


And when we break, we'll wait for our miracle
God is a place where some holy spectacle lies
And when we break, we'll wait for our miracle
God is a place you will wait for the rest of your life



Ben Gibbard- Recycled Air



I watch the patchwork farms' slow fade into the ocean's arms
And from here they can't see me stare
The stale taste of recycled air
I watch the patchwork farms' slow fade into the ocean's arms
Calm down, release your cares
The stale taste of recycled air


The Smiths- Please Please Please

So for once in my life
let me get what I want
Lord knows it would be the first time
(I don't actually feel this way today- but we have all been there)

Ani DiFranco- Joyful Girl (I of course have to include her, as she is my favorite and regularly speaks to me)

I do it for the joy it brings
because I'm a joyful girl
because the world owes me nothing
and we owe each other the world
'cuz the bathroom mirror has not budged
and the woman who lives there can tell
the truth from the stuff that they say
and she looks me in the eye
and says would you prefer the easy way?
no, well o.k. then
don't cry

Bowerbirds- Crooked Lust

I was born a ghost
An apparition
Filled with holes
and contradiction


And I fear I'm the only one
So I wake early
watch the leaves quake
and the first light braze the trees
I hide myself in a secret place
Here I know my heart
I know it's careless
But, darling, you seem like you're fearless and
maybe you're my perfect fix

My conscience is
My conscience is an avalanche
majestic
bewildering
and wholly careless

I live with the tides
I live in reverence
and know the days are endless, endless

2 comments:

Rikki Cupcake said...

hey I just found your blog, my name is also Rikki (not many of us) and I too am Vegan. I do a feature on my blog called "Ask A Vegan" and I would love if you would be part of it! please email me if interested rikkicupcake@yahoo.com

Unknown said...

I actually like most of these!! yahoo I'm growing up!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...