Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Rainy Day Black Bean Soup

Finals are over! Finally :) Now if we could only coax the sun from behind its cloudy blanket all could be well. As per usual, the weather in Utah has been pretty much bipolar for the entire month of April, and if you think like me, sometimes on a dark rainy day there is nothing better than a nice warm bowl of soup to lift the spirits. Unfortunately, I'm still on my bare cupboard cooking wagon but I was able to throw a few things together to create a satisfying wet weather meal. Jen and I even ate this the next day for lunch and it keeps well, I think it would even freeze nicely.

Rainy Day Black Bean Soup

Ingredients:

1 can black beans
1 can corn
1 can tomato soup + 1 can of water
1 c wild rice- cooked (I used a boxed rice, just cooked it according to the directions and added to soup)
1/8 c fine chopped onions
1/2 t lemon juice
1/2 t sriracha (or other hot sauce- the sriracha gives it a really nice spicy kick)
1/4 t pepper
1/4 t garlic
dash of salt

Add tomato soup and water to pot with onions and spices and bring to a near boil. Add drained black beans and corn, simmer about 5 minutes. Add cooked rice and simmer another 5 minutes until all ingredients are warm. Serve with bread or crackers, or it is great all by itself!

3 comments:

Cali said...

Now this one looks really good. Do you like me stalking your blog? lol I want to hang out soon, if you're up for it. Congrats on finishing finals! This means you're done for good right? If so I hope you get to celebrate!

Unknown said...

Jeni and Tyler both said how yummy it was! I really should try doing this!

Rikki C. said...

I would love to get together Cal! When you are feeling better of course. :) (See I blog stalk you too)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...